- Always shop around even the sites that claim to have the best package deals, rarely can better purchasing flights and accommodation separately
- Economy flights are still king, with Easyjet coming out on top for bargain flights even in the peak travel times. It’s a short flight from the UK (generally under 3 hours) so is it really worth paying more?
- If you are travelling in the summer holidays the difference between packages and DIY is minimal but DIY is still cheaper. However, if you know when you want to go and are ready to take a gamble the last minute package deals can come up trumps.
- Travelling as a family of 4 with kids between 12 and 2 years, to the Algarve in the summer holidays, will cost from £2722 for 3 star all inclusive, 3 star self catering package from £1634, DIY self catering apartment and economy flight from £1373.
- You can get slightly more for your money away from the Algarve. For a family of 4 travelling to Lisbon and staying around the beautiful beaches of Estoril, you can find a DIY deal from £1400 for an economy flight and 4 star hotel with breakfast. Flying to Porto in northern Portugal you can stay in a standard B&B for £1250 by the coast.
- Of course if you can go out of school holiday season there are bargains galore to grab and you should always do it yourself. You can get economy flights and standard accommodation for 2 from £300 for the week from September, for that touch of luxury you can get a 5 star hotel from £550 including flights.
So, just get yourself familiar with the search sites out there for hotels and flights such as Skyscanner and Expedia, then when you think you’ve found your deal, check the hotel’s and airlines site itself, to make sure your deal really is a deal!