A wonderful escorted holiday taking in the best that Portugal has to offer. Portugal’s great discoveries brought trade and wealth which left its mark throughout the Kingdom. Witness this legacy, along with more ancient sites from the sunny beaches of the Algarve to the vineyards of the Douro Valley.
Prices from £1395
SIGNATURE EXPERIENCES AND DINING
- Lisbon: Visit Jeronimo’s church with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal’s trade over the centuries.
- Evora: Visit the famous Roman Temple and Capela dos Ossosthe, plus the fascinating cathedral, a mix of Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
- Fatima: Join the faithful at one of the world’s holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of Apparitions.
- Tomar: Dominating the town, visit the Convent of Christ, see the Manueline Window and follow the story of the mysterious Knights Templar.
- Tomar: Visit one of the best preserved medieval synagogues in Portugal.
- Conimbriga: Visit the museum with a local historian and witness the Roman ruins and mosaics.
- Coimbra: Visit the University with a Local Expert and witness the triumphal arches, painted ceilings, golden flourishes and walls of ancient tomes.
ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
- Lisbon: Tour the spacious avenues and elegant squares. See the Monument to the Discoveries and ancient Belem Tower. Visit Jeronimo’s Monastery, built during the city’s Age of Discovery.
- Portimao: Explore this Algarve resort.
- Evora: With a local expert see the city walls, Roman Temple, Cathedral, Praça do Giraldo and Capela dos Ossos.
- Obidos: Walk through the picturesque narrow streets up to the main square of this ancient walled town.
- Coimbra: Enjoy an orientation tour of the Old town.
- Mateus: Visit the gardens of the 18th century baroque palace.
- Guimarães: Enjoy views from the ruined castle. Explore the maze of streets in the historic old quarter.
- Porto: See the bridges and buildings decorated in tiles.
AUTHENTIC REGIONAL FLAVOURS
- Lisbon: Enjoy a demonstration and tasting of the famous ‘Pasteis de Belem’.
- Algarve: Join your Tour Director at one of the excellent eateries to be found around the marinas of the Algarve, for a fun-filled evening of classic seafood dishes and wine.
- Monsaraz: Enjoy a delicious and memorable Alentejo lunch with wine in an old olive oil mill.
- Porto: Enjoy an informative tour of a famous cellar at Vila Nova de Gaia, enjoy the views and taste the port.
- Porto: Shared experiences and memories are often the foundation for special bonds and friendships. Celebrate with wine and good cheer at a restaurant in Porto devoted to the enjoyment of regional cooking.
- 1 Welcome Dinner (WD), 9 Buffet Breakfasts (BB), 1 Highlight Dinner (HD), 1 Highlight Lunch (HL), 1 three-course table d’hôte Dinner with wine, plus tea or coffee (D) and 1 Celebration Dinner (CD).
STAY AT THE BEST ADDRESSES
- Lisbon: The 5-star Hotel Altis is set in Lisbon’s historic centre, with the up-market Bairro Alto just a short walk away.
- Évora: Among the white-washed houses of Évora, next to the Roman aqueduct, your 5-star M`AR De AR Aqueduto hotel blends part of an old monastery with modern design.
- Douro Valley: CS Vintage House Hotel is a charming 5-star property that dates back to the XVIII century when it was an old Port wine. With a privileged location, it looks out over the Douro River.
ADDITIONAL FIVE STAR SERVICES
- An expert Insight Tour Director, at the pinnacles of their careers, will smooth your way throughout your journey. They are your ‘travelling concierges’, expert guides, consummate organisers and friends in a foreign land.
- Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight’s luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom. It’s business class comfort.
- Personal radio headsets, gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights without missing any of your local expert’s fascinating insights and commentaries.
- Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel. Hotel and restaurant tips included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel WiFi.
- Insight Flourishes – from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
- Airport transfers at scheduled times on the first and last day of your escorted journey.
Day 1 Welcome to Lisbon
On arrival at Lisbon Portela Airport, there are complimentary transfers to your hotel at 09:30 12:30 and 15:30 hours. Settle in and relax. Later, join your Tour Director for a Welcome Reception and the opportunity to mingle and get to know each other over a pleasant evening of dinner and wine.
Hotel: Altis Grand, Lisbon (Superior Rooms)
Welcome Reception and Dinner
Day 2 Lisbon & the Age of the Great Discoveries
Your panoramic guided sightseeing takes you along the spacious avenues of the Lower Town and across the tree-shaded squares. Pass beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco, finest square in the city, named after the palace which was destroyed in the terrible earthquake of 1755 (along with much of the rest of the city). Visit the Belem Quarter from where sailing ships set forth to discover unknown lands. Visit an old patisserie that has managed to hold on to the secret recipe of Portugal’s finest pastry for over 100 years and enjoy a demonstration and tasting of the famous ‘Pasteis de Belem’. See the modern Monument to the Discoveries and the more ancient Belem Tower, erected to protect Jeronimo’s Monastery, whose church we visit. Enjoy free time this afternoon. Perhaps take the funicular railway up into the steep alleyways of the old town or explore the terraces of the Alfama district?
Hotel: Altis, Lisbon (Superior Rooms)
Day 3 On to the Algarve
Cross the River Tagus and head for the sun-drenched southern coast. Lunchtime finds you on the coast at Portimão, a fishing port nestled at the back of a bay. After free time to explore, your gracious resort hotel is not too far away, set within a magnificent 360 acre estate. In free time, perhaps visit the quaint fishing village of Sagres and adjacent Cape St. Vincent with its famous lighthouse. Simplicity is the soul of Algarve cuisine, along with seafood so fresh it still tastes of the sea. The small coastal towns and fishing ports house a rich variety of restaurants and your Tour Director knows the best! Enjoy a delightful evening of wine and classic seafood dishes rooted in the region.
Hotel: Hotel Ria Park, Algarve
Buffet Breakfast, Highlight Dinner
Day 4 Travel to Everlasting Evora
(Relaxed Start) In the morning, journey to the medieval walled city of Évora. Join a Local Expert to explore the highlights of this beautifully preserved town. See the Roman Temple and visit the Capela dos Ossos, an extraordinary 17th century chapel comprising the skulls and bones of 5,000 bodies. Visit the cathedral, an attractive mix of Romanesque and Gothic architecture. In the afternoon, perhaps hire some bicycles and enjoy a ride through Évora’s unique historical centre and follow the aqueduct inside the city walls?
Hotel: M’Ar De Ar Aqueduto, Évora
Day 5 Monsaraz and Évora
(Relaxed Start) In the morning, you’ll be transported to the striking white village of Monsaraz, situated on imposing hilltop, surrounded by cork oaks and vineyards. From the castle ruins, admire the spectacular views across to the dry Spanish plains, contrasting with the blue of one of Europe’s largest artificial lakes. Enjoy a leisurely cruise before a delicious and memorable lunch in a restaurant that was formerly an old olive oil mill. The choices offered are all typical of the local Alentejo region, with wine and drinks included. Later, return to Évora where cathedrals, churches, aqueducts and ancient castle walls all serve to create the feeling that this beautiful UNESCO World Heritage city is a living, breathing museum to Portugal’s rich past.
Hotel: M’Ar De Ar Aqueduto, Evora
Buffet Breakfast, Highlight Lunch
Day 6 Scenic drive to Obidos, Fatima and Tomar
In the morning, take some lesser roads to the fortified city of Óbidos, for a walk inside the walls to explore the craft shops, art galleries and flower-bedecked houses that line the narrow, medieval streets. Continue to Fátima, Portugal’s most renowned place of pilgrimage. See the basilica or visit the Chapel of the Apparitions, which commemorates the appearance of the Virgin Mary to three young shepherds in 1917. Now on to one of Portugal’s historical jewels – the Templar Castle and Convent of Christ at Tomar. With a Local Expert, explore the octagonal Templar’s Rotunda in the cloister and glimpse the day-to-day life of a warrior monk in the domestic areas. Outside on the battlements, the Maunalina window is perhaps the finest example in the country. Next, visit the Synagogue of Tomar, one of the best preserved medieval synagogues in Portugal, housing a small Jewish museum.
Hotel: Dos Templarios, Tomar
Buffet Breakfast, Dinner
Day 7 Coimbra, the Douro and Pinhao
(Relaxed Start) Drive to Conímbriga, Portugal’s best-preserved Roman archaeological site. With a Local Expert, marvel at the mosaics, explore the ‘House of the Fountains’ and visit the museum. Move on to Coimbra, where guided sightseeing shows you the highlights of the Old Town, including a visit to the sumptuous baroque University library. Continue through rolling hills to your hotel, nestled on the vine laden banks of the Douro.
Hotel: CS Vintage House, Pinhao
Day 8 Guimarães and Porto
Journey to Guimarães, known as the Cradle of Portugal. From the ruined castle there are wonderful views. Down in the historic heart, lies a web of washing-hung alleyways, cobbled streets and cosy squares with tiny bars and cafés. Now on to the bright lights of Porto, situated on the River Douro and celebrated as the Port wine capital of the world. The Vila Nova de Gaia wine stores house these famous port wines. Walk along corridors of casks and get to know your tawnys and vintages during a tasting.
Hotel: NH Porto Batalha, Porto
Day 9 Porto, Grande Dame on the Douro
(Relaxed Start) A free day to enjoy at your own pace. Why not admire the multi-coloured houses and churches covered in beautiful glazed tiles, as well as the iconic bridges (‘Eiffel Towers on end’ according to one Frenchman) or join a relaxing Douro River cruise for a different perspective and excellent views of the city. In the evening, bid ‘adeus’ to your Tour Director and friends with a palate-provoking Celebration Dinner, complete with wine at an authentic Porto restaurant.
Hotel: NH Porto Batalha, Porto
Buffet Breakfast, Celebration Dinner
Day 10 Depart Porto or Lisbon Airport
Your departure transfer arrives at Porto Airport 09:30 & 12:00. The 12:00 coach will continue to Lisbon arriving at 17:00.
Lisbon (Central) – Portugal
Altis Grand is a landmark 5 star hotel in Lisbon with a prime location in central Lisbon, within walking distance of Avenida Liberdade and Lisbon’s historic districts, this hotel has its history linked to the contemporary history of the country, which regularly hosts media events.
Evora (Central) – Portugal
Tomar (Scenic) – Portugal
Pinhao (Scenic) – Portugal
*Tour prices and dates are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking. Note prices displayed reflect available discounted rates (i.e. Early Payment Discount, Red Hot Deal). All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking. For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Booking Conditions page.